Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inagural Post



I hope it is fitting and appropriate to follow Inaguration Day with my Inagural Blog Post (although this post has nothing to do with politics!)

I'm new to blogging, but it looks like a fantastic medium for sharing information, ideas and inspiration so I figured I would give it a go! I'm so impressed with my friends Wilson Bickford and Buck Paulson who have very interesting blogs (and fantastic work!!) and I look forward to reading their posts and enjoying their new pieces which are posted frequently.

The painting "Greeneville Depot" (shown above) seems appropriate to share with you this month as we are in the throes of Winter here in East Tennessee. Although we generally escape heavy snows and below zero temperatures in the south, we are not immune to the occasional dusting and temperatures in the teens. It is in January that, each year, I thank God for our mild winters and that I was born to a family living below the Mason-Dixon line!

The painting was a Christmas gift for my Dad the year before last. I had so much fun painting this one and pushing myself to make it the best work I possibly could. I really wanted to impress my Dad, who is a great artist himself with pen & ink and his Nikon! My Dad is to a large degree responsible for my initial love of art both as an idea and a pursuit. It's so nice to paint with your audience in mind. You might be surprised how much harder you try to push yourself if you paint with the vision of someone important to you seeing the painting.

The painting began on a foam-green colored canvas primed with acrylics, which was followed with more acrylic work in ultramarine blue and white to establish almost all of the values in the finished painting. I followed that with thin glazes of oil color to "build-up" to the final details.

Please feel free to comment and contribute! I look forward hearing your ideas and feedback.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Nic! I thought this was a photograph until I read your post. Amazing work, I look forward to seeing what else you have to share!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to "blog world". lol I see the Silver Falls projects are finally posted. Looks like it'll be a good week for evryone. Even basket classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dawn & Wilson!

    Yep, Silver Falls looks like fun this year...I've got a "day off" on Wednesday. It's a shame you won't be there Willie or I'd jump in your class for a day. I'd be a great disruptive influence!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow, I believe that!! lol Maybe you can settle in with Floyd for the day. He can be pretty fun in a class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nic? Anything new happening? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very beautiful painting.

    Welcome to the world of blogging. It really keeps things in order for self and others.

    I am sure with yours many can benefit!

    ReplyDelete