Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sketchy Thoughts...

I love to paint highly detailed, colorful and refined paintings with a "tight" look and a high degree of finish, but I also love the balance that comes with simple, quick and expressive pieces as well. These expressive, instinctual pieces may lead to more elaborate pieces with a higher level of control or I may choose not to expand on them and just enjoy them as they are, for what they are.

Artists use sketchbooks and journals for a number of different purposes. They may serve to brainstorm ideas, work out compositional problems, preserve memories or record thoughts. The sketchbook truly serves all these purposes, but usually one or two more than the others. I fall mostly into the latter categories.

I keep a sketchbook almost like someone might keep a diary or a log. I don't make entries daily, but when I do, I find I am primarily recording images from surroundings, thoughts in my mind's eye, details about the scene and an overall sense of mood; both my own and the mood of my environment. Whether I choose to make later work derived from these sketchbook entries or not, I am and will always be a sentimental and reminiscent fella. My mood and feelings toward a person, place or event are often my prime motivation for the creation of art. Life is just so powerful, it seems to me, and there is so much going on all around us in a never ending cadence that it seems only appropriate to record and appreciate as much of it as possible. These little glimpses into our past wandering can so often bring so much joy as we remember where we've been, what we've done and who was there.

The sketch on this page is a case in point. Titled "Restless Night in Knoxville", this little drawing of my dorm room was and remains one of my very favorite things I've ever made, and I've drawn and painted a LOT! I came across this a few weekends ago in my sketchbook from college while I was cleaning my studio. Looking at it, I am so happy now that I took the time to record this snippet of my busy and disorderly college life. The feelings and moods of that night are still crystal clear and easy to recall, thanks in large part to the information I've recorded. In the upper right hand corner, I recorded the date. It was late April, 2001 and the spring semester was drawing to a close. I can recall a lot of anticipation of the coming months of summer and the bittersweetness of finishing up my freshman year of college and knowing I would miss a lot of folks I had met only eight months prior.

I recorded the time...at 1:07 am and later at 1:39 am. I certainly didn't need as much sleep eight years ago! I suppose that's a major contributing factor as to why I don't make as many of these little sketches as I once did.

At the top of the drawing are the words, "Got central heat and... and I'm alright". These are lyrics from the song I was listening to at the time. I almost always have some kind of music going when I draw or paint. I like the fact, especially in hindsight, that I wasn't straightforward with a statement such as, "listening to Dave Matthews", but rather I jotted down the lyrics that stuck out to me most at the moment. If I recall correctly, the combination of studying the details of my surrounds and hearing that lyric guided me to include the air vents to the left and just above the door.

All of the information in this drawing sparks the impetus to recall the mood and sensation of that particular moment in time. I remember that wonderful feeling of expressing myself, capturing a mood; the essence of the moment. I remember the unique feeling of that time in my life, the sublime feeling of that night, the realization that such times are fleeting and a pause to acquiesce to the moment is of great worth.

The overall drawing, as stated before, is accomplished quickly and expressively with just enough detail and information to provide a record. For the investment of about $8 and perhaps 30 minutes, I have so much documented. I have so many memories I can call up! In times of financial uncertainty, how's that for a return on investment? I say it's priceless....

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's funny how a certain image or song can transport you back to an earlier time in your life. The Elton John song, "Daniel" always reverts me to the summer between my 7th and 8th grades. Myself and a couple of buddies were "camping out" in a tent in my backyard and that was the big hit at the time. I swear it played every half hour on the radio. Someone smuggled in some cigarettes and boy, we were pretty cool that summer. Sharing our thoughts, smoking Marlboros and listening to the radio. All night long. To this day, when I hear that song I'm nearly overwhelmed by the flood of memories and feelings it brings. Not only thinking of friends not seen in many years,
    ( and some who are no longer with us ) but I can remember the conversations and even smell the cigarette smoke. We hadn't a care in the world. That summer seemed like it would never end. And when I hear that song, it really hasn't. This was about 37 years ago Nic, so I have to believe that your connection to your sketch will carry the same impact forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that story Wilson! I love to remember stuff like that and love to hear other's recollections of good times. It's always the simple things, isn't it?!

    I have to echo the sentiment, "That summer seemed like it would never end. And when I hear that song, it really hasn't"....AMEN. Isn't it great to be able to use the arts, visual, musical or whatever, to be able to trigger those wonderful feelings?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's "always the simple things" and they take on greater importance as the years tick by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Earth Day Nic!!! Do you have anything new to share on your blog? Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks NIC! Hope you are well too!

    ReplyDelete